Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Thank you

Each of our chickens has become part of our household. We treasure the eggs that they give us each day. There is a rythm and cadence to our world that includes everything from the sounds of chickens laying to the feeding, watering and collecting. In many ways, the activities associated with our hens are very simple - grounding is probably the best word.

Then it gets even simpler. Today I said thank you, in a very intimate way, to one of our girls. She has struggled on and off over the past few weeks. The pecking order has not been kind to her, yet she persevered and struggled through - we shifted feed, tried different things to restore the balance, but there was something beyond our ability to control. Today I was greeted, as ever, by a grateful hen - each day I held her for a few minutes, let her roam unencumbered by the ongoing torment. Today, the damage was too severe and inhumane.

So, I did my homework, found a good recommendation online and followed through. Very quietly I let her roam and scratch for a few grubs...she came running when I walked over...I gently held her and quietly thanked her for all her gifts and for being part of our family...I put her to sleep with my hands and held her as her life whispered away.

Thank you little one.
Our flock is one less tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment